I am Specialized!

I am Specialized!

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Exciting News - I Am Specialized!



 
 
While in Southern California on spring break with my family, I was elated to receive a short note from Specialized Bikes:
 


"Dear Leslie, Congratulations!  You have been selected as a 2014 "I Am Specialized" Women's Ambassador.  I'm so excited to have you join the ambassador team and I am looking forward to working with you over the next year....  I hope you are as thrilled as I am."

 
Whoo Hoo!  Yes, I am completely thrilled to have this opportunity.  Specialized is a top-quality brand that I believe in deeply.  My first road bike was a 2008 Dolce Elite that I purchased for my first triathlon.  My Dolce and I shared many  memorable miles training and racing together.  I'm currently riding a 2014 Amira Pro and I hope for the same experience.  I feel so comfortable and at one on Specialized Women's bikes.

As Ambassador, I will continue to work closely with Twenty20 Cycling in Baltimore on the women's ride and other exciting events to introduce women to cycling.  Twenty20 Cycling's owners operate with a deep passion for customers to feel confident and happy.  They care about the Maryland/DC community and advocate for safe roads and expanded infrastructure for all disciplines of cycling.  Twenty20 Cycling has the best offering in the region.  And it's a pleasure to partner with co-owners Kris Auer, Norman Brach and Johnny May.

A year ago, Kris introduced me to the debut of Specialized Women’s Ambassador program.  With the exciting prospect to jointly represent Specialized Women through Twenty20, I applied.  But I faced two challenges.  I only had three days to respond and I had just completed treatment for breast cancer.  While it was disappointing not to be selected, I was relieved.  I wasn’t my usual energetic self.  I needed time to physically recover and to process everything I had been through. 

This year, Kris and I were on an early lookout for the announcement.  While he was on the west coast visiting Specialized, Kris contacted me immediately about the 2014 "I Am Specialized" Women's Ambassador program.  He also had an opportunity to share his support for me with his Specialized contacts, for which I am truly grateful.  As I was reflecting and writing about my passion for cycling, I felt proud to share my true voice and my dedication to women's riding.

What's next?  I've been invited to visit the home of Specialized Bikes and, in a few days, I head to Morgan Hill, CA.  I feel like a kid who's parent's just told them they are going to Disney World.  I'm excited to meet everyone at Specialized, connect with my fellow Ambassadors and begin our journey together.  We have two and a half days of riding, bike fits, promotion, product education and even a wind tunnel tour! 

I'm humbled by this opportunity and thank all of you who encouraged me in arriving at this moment.  Whoo Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment